Monday, August 28, 2006

Taste Bud Mutiny


I had baked chips with dinner tonight. I hate baked chips. They really taste nasty. I think anyone that says they taste good is brainwashed by the potato chip marketing ploy. (yes Laura, I'm talking about you! = )
I wonder how many people eat stuff like that, that they don't like, because it's the best alternative to the real thing. Like their mind says 'but it's chips, it's good' when their taste buds say 'stop now or we'll mutiny'..ya know? I was eating the damned things because I 'couldn't' have any other kind and halfway through it occurred to me that I was forcing myself to eat something I hated. Now, I can see working through the acquired taste issues for really healthy foods but for fake potato chips? What was I thinking? Then I was reminded of the time I bought a box of snack cakes for myself and the kids. I had eaten three of them and on the last one I really started to 'taste' it. It had a very chemical like taste to the frosting. I spit it out into my hand, fake chocolate, fake frosting plus chemichals and unpronounceable additives clinging to my dragging tongue like barnacles to a ship. My brain had just talked itself into thinking it was good because it was SWEET. But it wasn't good at all. So I decided that I'd eat what I truly liked and not eat just to satisfy some mind trick about cravings and IDEAS of what should be good. I threw away the baked chips and didn't miss them at all. Nasty little things.

The photo with this post is an out-take of my daughter, Angelina. I thought the expression suited my feelings about the baked potato chips! I would have taken a photograph of those things had I had my camera with me. I seem to be leaving her at home too often when I have my little epiphanies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home